Sunday, February 7, 2010

One of these things is not like the other

Personalized Baker's Labels

I think these baker's labels are about the cutest thing that I've ever seen (see above link).  This probably reveals a lot about my inner fantasy life, wherein I would have a sunny southern kitchen filled with precious babies and things I had baked in fabulous, yet rustic copper cookware.  When asked about these delicious treats, I would humbly wave my hand and say, "This old tart, it's so simple.  Here, have some fresh squeezed juice while I organize this gala." Thats right.  I, the law student who has spent most of my studies focused in criminal law and now spend most of days with criminals, dream of being Donna Reed.  If you're not familiar with Mrs. Reed, she was like  Martha Stewart with a tiny waist and a clean record.  I love Emily Post.  When faced with a problem, I often think, "What would Truvy do?" I secretly love gospel music.  A lot.  Even though I have never attended a church that plays/sings gospel music.  My fantasy life is the stuff of Southern Living and would make Scarlett and Rosalyn Carter proud.

In reality, I'm no southern flower.  I'm proud of being from South Alabama.  I know that to some South Alabama is redundant, but it means something if you're from there, trust me.  Proud though I may be of my South, Donna Reed I'm not.  I love the law and the competition of litigation.  Dirty jokes don't make me blush, they make me howl.  I can be sharp tongued and my hair is usually a mass of unkempt curls.  I'm pulled in two different directions.  I want a life of baker's labels, Junior League, and two-named children with smocked outfits at the same time that I want to be a hoo-rah, glass ceiling breaking, professional woman to be reckoned with.  Somehow or another, I will have both, but "I won't think about that today.  I'll think about that tomorrow."*

*If you don't know this quote, you probably couldn't relate to this post anyway and frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.


No comments:

Post a Comment