Friday, April 1, 2011

Brief Update

To all those who said something to me or Craig after reading my last post, thank you so much for your support.  To anyone who read it and said a prayer or wished us well, thank you also.  I especially appreciate people reaching out to Craig.  I think its a little easier to imagine how crushing it has been for me, but it was equally hard on him.  On top of his sadness about the loss, he also had to be (or at least thought he had to be) tough for me.  Through all of this he has had to go to work, pick up both of our slack on a charity project we're working on, and managed to get offered an interview for a fantastic job out of the blue.  Don't get me wrong, he's handled all of this really well, but he never had the opportunity to press pause like I did.  Anyway, thanks for showing support for him, too.

I had my surgery yesterday and everything went well.  I was in more pain than I expected yesterday afternoon, but I suspect that that was because I had made no headway on my own.  We took it easy all day and watched a marathon of Pawn Stars on the History Channel (one of my addictions), and were grateful that this part of this experience is behind us. 

Today, I woke up with different discomfort.  I feel like I was picked by my jaw and forced to do crunches.  Interpretation:  my jaw, neck, and ribs are super stiff and sore.  My mom assured me that this isn't a big deal and is probably the result of a less than graceful anesthetist.  Overall, I have nothing to complain about.  Everything went well.  In the grand scheme of things, it was a very minor surgery.  To be honest, I'm so glad that if this had to happen, it happened very early.  Thank God it wasn't later.  Thank God it wasn't our child in the hospital having surgery.  Thank God.  Thank God.  As you can see, I go back and forth between thinking this is the most awful thing that's happened to us, and knowing that there are far more painful things that people are facing right now, that I don't even know about.  This morning I said a prayer for all those who are suffering silently, and that includes any who may be reading this blog. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I stumbled on this blog and it brought back my own memories of my husband and I as we went through something similar several years ago.

    One thing that really blessed me, was that one night while we were talking, my husband said he had been thinking of all the people who grow up without a loving parent, and that his greatest gratitude to God came from realizing that our child, however briefly, had been born, lived and passed surrounded by our love. Even if our child's life was only as brief as a candle flickering, we had been given the chance to love and value that child. He or she passed from our love to God's embrace, and our emotional pain came from the depth of the meaningful love we felt for her or him. We mourned because we loved, not because we were hopeless.

    How good God is to give you and your husband each other. You are obviously strong and wonderful people, and you have my prayers, as well.

    ReplyDelete